Saturday, May 15, 2010

Members' Night at the Zoo

I know I have talked a lot about our zoo in this blog but we really do have a great zoo here in Columbia. Once a month, they offer a Members' Night where they have discounted refreshments, free rides, magicians and other fun guests, and let the members get access to animals "behind the scenes".

This particular evening the members were able to get up close and personal with the elephants and the bears. And when I say we were up close and personal...

...we were UP CLOSE and PERSONAL people! Below is a picture with no zoom on how close we were to the elephants. Now I tried to get a picture that close with the bears but I was too busy concentrating on getting to the exit as quickly as possible. The guests were made to stay single file behind a yellow line just a couple of feet in front of the animals' cages. One of the bears started growling at us and was trying to get its paw out of the cage. Needless to say, I was DONE at this point. But then a child in front of us almost ran up to the cage when his mom wasn't paying attention. You should have seen the panic on the zookeepers' faces! They were yelling at him to stay back! I was REALLY done then! I kept hitting Trey's ankles with the stroller to try and get him to move faster! :-) Of course, Henry was completely oblivious to the "danger" and seemed to really enjoy the experience. However, the elephants and bears were not his favorite part of the evening.



And neither were the ostriches.



And feeding the goats was not his favorite part either.



And not even the free carousel ride!



So what was his favorite part you ask?

The ice cream! :-) Every time we have been back to the zoo since, Henry asks for ice cream! Silly boy!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm sure he just likes ice cream because it has "calcium" for healthy bones- at least that's my excuse!